/boot like linux!

Stijn Hoop stijn at win.tue.nl
Fri Mar 4 02:56:55 PST 2005

On Fri, Mar 04, 2005 at 01:15:00AM -0500, Garance A Drosehn wrote:
> I have run with softupdates on for '/' on all my systems, for
> a few years now.  It has not caused me any problems that I
> know of, but then the way I define my partitions is probably a
> lot different than what most people do.
>
> If we thought that softupdates made it *significantly* more
> likely that users would *lose* data, then we would not turn it
> on for any partitions!

Anthony's probably confusing softupdates + write caching on modern ATA
disks; the last undermines some of softupdates' fundamental
assumptions (ie the drive lies about data being written to disk) such
that it is indeed more likely in the event of a powerfailure that data
is lost.

Then again, write caching on modern ATA disks without softupdates also
is not really safe; so the win of turning off just softupdates is not
that big.

--Stijn

--
There are of course many problems connected with life, of which some of
the most popular are 'Why are people born?', 'Why do they die?', and