any ideas why these xorg hassles???

Gary Kline kline at tao.thought.org
Fri Mar 4 00:55:31 PST 2005

	Guys,

	Here's the story XFree-4 vs xorg.  I have 4 platforms on
	a KVM so every machine uses the same tube.  With XFree,
	my 3 FBSD systems had a flawless 1280x1024 display.  With
	xorg, on my E-machines (ATI-Rage- 4M Video) the screen
	quivers. On my HP Kayak (Matrox II 8M) the display is
	steady but the tube is complaining "INVALID SYNC".  The
	CRT is a high-end Hitachi.  I got the exact specs for both
	the horiz and vert hertz ranges.  Before, I was just
	close.  Now everything is dead-on.

	Another couple things.  With XFree, I set the DefaultDepth'
	to 8; now, on both computers it is maxed out at 16.  If I
	do set the default depth to 8, xdm fails.  (It "tries" to'
	initialize, then something clicks/resets, the screen
	flashes grey for an instant; repeats infinitely.)

	Can anyone clue me in on howto get back to XFree on both
	systems?  I know about make.conf, but what should I
	pkg_delete?

	thanks for any help,

	gary

--