/boot like linux!

Kevin Kinsey kdk at daleco.biz
Thu Mar 3 15:34:05 PST 2005

Jesse Guardiani wrote:

<snip snip>

>Anyway, that worked. The kernel boots now, but it prompts
>me at the beginning of the rc process for the root device.
>I give it:
>
>ufs:ad1s1d
>
>Which is my / partition, and it boots successfully.
>Is it possible to automate this process so that the loader
>knows to use ad1s1d as my root device?
>
>Thanks!

Please note that I'm a "fellow newb", and don't take this
as if it were from an authoritative source (other than whoever
I'm quoting...)

from boot(8):

  "Make note of the fact that /boot.config is read only from the `a' parti-
     tion.  As a result, slices which are missing an `a' parition
require user
     intervention during the boot process."

Kevin Kinsey

P.S.  It might be better to go back and set things up
correctly.  As someone just said, you can do it with
just / and swap, if you don't feel the need to have
seperate partitions for /var, /usr, /tmp, whatever.