sudo & su

Pietro Cerutti pietro.cerutti at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 14:47:11 PST 2005

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 15:56:26 -0600, Paul Schmehl <pauls at utdallas.edu> wrote:

> Sure.  Use visudo to edit /etc/sudoers and set:
> root    ALL = (ALL) ALL
> wheel   ALL = (ALL) ALL
>
> If NOPASSWD is in there, take it out.

There isn't any NOPASSWD, but if I give the password the first time,
sudo doesn't ask for it anymore in the next 5 min or so...

> Sudo doesn't ask for *root*'s password.  It asks for *your* password.  If
> you knew root's password, you wouldn't need to use sudo.  You could use su.

I think I really misunderstood the purpose of sudo. I thought that it
was used to automatically login as root, give a command, and log back
out to user who invoked the command.
So what's the purpose of asking for the password of the actually logged in user?

Thank you

--
Pietro "Piter" Cerutti
<pietro.cerutti at gmail.com>