Does 802.11b use a lot of resources?

Loren M. Lang lorenl at alzatex.com
Thu Mar 3 12:28:49 PST 2005

On Wed, Mar 02, 2005 at 08:32:55AM -0800, Christopher Kelley wrote:
> Loren M. Lang wrote:

> >>My experience is that:
> >>
> >>1) 50% throughput is probably the best you should expect.  I generally
> >>plan on 3-4 Mbps for an 11 Mbps 802.11b card.
> >>
> >>2) Using 128-bit encryption (WEP) will significantly slow down some
> >>(many?) cards. The WEP processing is done on the card (I think), and they
> >>simply don't have hefty processors. If you use 128-bit WEP, try 64-bit
> >>WEP and see if that speeds things up.  64 bit WEP is adequate to keep out
> >>casual snoopers, and 128 bit is not adequate to keep out a serious
> >>attacker, so the difference in security may not be as important as some
> >>believe.  64-bit WEP is also known as 40-bit, and similarly for 128-bit
> >>WEP.
> >>

> >Actually, what I recommend for home you, if you have the time, is IPSEC.
> >Much more secure than WEP and it's all done on the main cpu so it should
> >slow the wifi down as much.  There's a good article on freebsddiary.org
> >I believe.
> >

> I found the article on freebsddiary, and I admit I only skimmed it, but
> I have a mix of FreeBSD and Windows (XP) on my wireless network, and for
> now I'd like to keep it as simple as possible.

I just wanted to mention that I have IPSEC running with several Win2k
computers and it works great.  The configuration is relatively simple,
the main problem was a couple of tweaks I needed to give to racoon, but
the windows side was even easier.  It's still more complicated than WEP,
but it's more secure and may provide faster data transfer.