Received mail timestamp is off by 7 hours

Luke luked at pobox.com
Wed Mar 2 13:00:22 PST 2005

>> There's no excuse for a mailserver to not be synced to a NTP source.
>
> I'd extend that to apply to any server.  Practically all the things a
> server does are dependent in some way on the correct time.

I have three excuses:
1) NTP is difficult to configure.  I've done it, but it wasn't trivial.
2) Finding an NTP server willing to accept traffic from the public isn't
easy either.  For me it involved a scavenger hunt through out-of-date
websites and a lot of failed attempts.
3) If your clock tends to run noticably fast or slow, constant NTP
corrections tend to do more harm than good, at least in my experience.  It
got to where I couldn't even run a buildworld because NTP kept tinkering
with the clock in the middle of the process.