Firefox and Macromedia Flash Plugin...

Eric Schuele e.schuele at computer.org
Wed Mar 2 02:15:39 GMT 2005

Lowell Gilbert wrote:
> Eric Schuele <e.schuele at computer.org> writes:
>

>>Zlatozar Zhelyazkov wrote:
>

>>>cd /usr/ports/www/flashplugin-firefox/
>>>make install clean
>>>cd /usr/src/libexec/rtld-elf/
>>>make clean all install
>>>cd /usr/ports/devel/linuxthreads
>>>make install clean
>>>cd /usr/ports/www/linuxpluginwrapper
>>>make install clean
>

>>Thank you for these instructions.  I was hoping to find a native flash
>>player, since I am currently not running the Linux compatibility
>>layer. But maybe I have no choice.  In any case these instructions
>>will be very helpful if I decide to turn on compatibility.
>

> I though that www/flashplugin-firefox *was* native, and didn't require
> any of those other bits.  [If it did require them, the ports system
> would be set up to build them first.]

In my previous post I failed to notice Z.Z. was referencing
flashplugin-firefox.  I just saw linux-this and linux-that.

Well... as far as I know it is native.  So I went to
/usr/ports/www/flashplugin-firefox and did a 'make install clean'.  I
had heard bad things but thought I'd try it anyways.  It installed it..
Firefox recognizes it, and will display a flash app.  But it then either
does not respond to clicks on the flash app (firefox is still responsive
though)... or it totally kills firefox.

Maybe I need to follow through on Zlatozar's instructions.

--
Regards,
Eric