FreeBSD basic networking

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Wed Mar 2 01:07:19 GMT 2005

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005, rizazoe wrote:

> I'm trying to test FreeBSD Basic networking
> I've connected my BSDbox to a D-link 624.
> I'va also connected A WinXP to the Dlink router
> Both are connected by ethernet cable
> The trouble is my BSDbox can seem to ping the Winxp
                            ^^^
> but the Winxp can ping my BSD box
                 ^^^

>        192.168.0.1    192.168.0.100
> ----     Router       -------
> |BSD |--- DLink 624---| Win XP|
> 192.168.0.2

If that first "can" is really a "can't", it probably means you have XP
SP2, which enables the Windows firewall.  In turn, the firewall disables
all--yes, all--ICMP packets.

So Windows XP SP2 doesn't respond to a ping unless you go in and change
at least the very first ICMP option in the firewall.  This breaks DHCP,
too, but then who uses that?  8-)