6 hours of trying to configure my printer.

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Wed Mar 2 00:45:53 GMT 2005

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005, bsdnooby wrote:

> Is there an easy way to configure a printer?  I've spent over 6 hours so far,
> and all I can print is 2 blank sheets of paper whenever I try to print
> something.
>
> I was using fluxbox-devel and an HP Deskhet 940c,

See http://www.linuxprinting.org about this printer.  They suggest hpijs
as a driver (/usr/ports/print/hpijs), although it should accept PCL
also.  Having it attached to parallel or USB should work; does lptest >
/dev/lpt0 (or /dev/ulpt0 if USB) produce any output?

> I'm not sure if I should be using CUPS or the lpr method, though I'm pretty
> sure my printer is not a Postscript printer and I must use Ghostsrcipt at
> some point.

I suggest lpr, unless you feel lucky.