Using META and DEL keys in console

Alejandro Pulver alejandro at varnet.biz
Tue Mar 1 14:43:02 PST 2005

Hello,

I have a PS/2 PC-101 keyboard.

I would like to use my META (ALT in my keyboard) key instead of ESC in
console mode. META works fine in an xterm. I also would like to use DEL
and others.

I read something in the manual pages of terminfo(5), gettytab(5),
etc.

I tried the following options:

:km:smm:dc:

But I am having these thoubles:

1) My ALT key did not work and the DEL key acts as BACKSPACE (C-h),
   but I would like to use it as C-d.

2) Some strange thing happens with Emacs in console mode: when I press
   DEL, it is interpreted (literally) as C-h, and C-h is used as
   BACKSPACE. And C-d acts as DEL.

3) Also DEL does not do anything in xterm.

Is there a more descriptive documentation of the terminal capabilities
listed in terminfo(5)?

Is there a standard configuration for PS/2 PC-101 keyboards?

Does xterm use a different configuration from console terminals?

Thanks and Best Regards,
Ale