restore

Leonard Zettel zettel at acm.org
Tue Mar 1 22:05:42 GMT 2005

On Tuesday 01 March 2005 04:36 pm, Jerry McAllister wrote:
> > In which it is proven yet again that I don't know what
> > in blazes I'm doing-----.
> >
> > I am a great fan of swappable hard drives.
> > i have two machines I plan to use for FreeBSD.
> > Let's call them the production machine and the
> > development machine.
> >
> > The production machine is working just fine.
> > All the FreeBSD stuff is on ad0s1, a 40 GB hard drive.
> > I have been using a 120 GB drive on ad0s1 for
> > backup, and have (apparently successfully) done
> > a dump of production / and /usr.
> >
> > So, I fire up the development machine with
> > the 120 GB drive as the slave of controller 1,
> > what I would like to be the main drive of the
> > development system (a 40GB hard drive) as
> > the master of controller 0, and disk 2 of the
> > Free BSD CD-ROMs in the CD-ROM drive.
> >
> > Up comes beastie and I boot.
> > I select "fixit" from the menu, followed by alt-F4.
> >
> > Then:
> > mount /dev/ad0s1a /mnt (to make the new root accessible to
> >                                          the system).
> > mkdir backup                   (make a mount point for the 120GB drive)
> > mount /dev/ad3s1a /backup (mount the 120 GB drive)
> > newfs /dev/ad0s1a           (start the new root with a clean sheet
> >                                           prior to doing a retore)
> >
> > BUT instead I get a diagnostic as follows:
> > fstab: /etc/fstab:0: No such file or directory
> > newfs: /dev/ad0s1a: failed to open disk for writing
> >
> > Could anybody tell me what I *should* be doing (bonus
> > extra points for expalining why :-) )?"
>
> Well, I got a little confused as to which machine has which drive[s]
> Especially when you say early on that everything on the production
> machine is on ad0s1 - a 40 GB drive and then say you are doing
> backups to ad0s1 - a 120 GB drive.
Typo -sorry about that; the 120G is ad1s1a when it is on
the production machine.

> That sounds like you have
> two ad0 drives on the machine at the same time.   I suspect something
> is missing of twisted in the description.
>
> But, farther down seems to be your real problem.
> The first question is did you look at the boot messages when you
> came up in fixit and are sure that ad0 and ad3 are the devices you
> need to be dealing with?
df verifies that ad0 is the 40G and ad3 is the 120G on the
development machine.

As I understand it, ad3 is the slave of the second IDE controller (1).  It
gets to be slave because the drive jumpers are set
that way, so the 120 can be slave on the first controller on the
production machine (ad1).  That way I can swap without redoing
the jumper.

> I kind of would have expected ad0 and ad1
> or maybe ad0 and ad2, but I am not used to mucking with IDE controllers.
>
> Next, why did you try and mount /dev/ad0s1a and then newfs /dev/ad0s1a
> That should not work at all.   You don't newfs a mounted partition.

Gee, I didn't know that.  It wasn't clear when I read the handbook
or man pages.  May give me something new to try--
> Second, that would wipe what is on there - maybe you want that.

I do indeed want that.

> I don't know why it complains about fstab at that point.  The fixit
> does not create one, but I don't see where it is needed for what you
> are trying.
Makes two of us.

> Maybe, just doing the wrong thing with newfs got it
> to trying to check stuff.
>
> Anyway, There are some thoughts of things to work out.  Maybe
> they will give you a clue of what to try next.
>
> ////jerry

Thanks.