dir ~

Joshua Tinnin krinklyfig at spymac.com
Tue Mar 1 21:27:14 GMT 2005

On Tuesday 01 March 2005 01:18 pm, Kirk Strauser <kirk at strauser.com>
wrote:
> On Tuesday 01 March 2005 12:33, Xavier Maillard wrote:
> > My best bet on this issue is to list this by inode -i.e. ls -i
> > and then track this inode using the inum switch of the find
> > command to delete the item.
>
> Ouch.  "rm -- fileWithWeirdName" is usually a lot easier.  For
> example, if you create a file named "-", then "rm -- -" will get rid
> of it.

I don't think this will work in his example. The man page explains it
like this:

The rm command uses getopt(3) to parse its arguments, which allows it to
accept the `--' option which will cause it to stop processing flag
options at that point.  This will allow the removal of file names that
begin with a dash (`-').  For example:
           rm -- -filename

So, `--' only causes it to stop processing flag options, not shell
expansion. `~' is not a marker for a flag.

- jt