Problems with pccard & wireless

Vittorio v.demartino2 at virgilio.it
Tue Mar 1 12:39:50 GMT 2005

I have a compaq evo n800 laptop with dual boot: win xp (needed at work) &
linux gentoo (fully working, for my pleasure). Now, willing to substitute
linux with FreeBSD I'm cautiously checking if FreeBSD will work with my
hardware as linux does  using as a test the freesbie cd distribution,
configuring it and saving my specific configuration to a usb mass storage
automagically mounted as /mnt/dos.1.

Now it happens that - after having read the somewhat fragmented documentations
on wireless cards setup -  I'm unable to set up my Cisco 350 wireless pcmcia
card (I'm sure it is supported!).

I have put in rc.conf

pccard_enable="YES"
pccard_mem="DEFAULT"
pccard_ifconfig="DHCP"

saved the configuration files into the usb mass storage and rebooted.

Even though I can find in rc.conf the pccard stuff as I set it, Freesbie goes
on complaining

pccard_enable: not found

the same error pops up if I restart the /etc/rc.d/pccard

What shall I do?

Vittorio