arplookup 192.168.1.254 failed: host is not on local network

Mark Edwards mark at antsclimbtree.com
Tue Mar 1 10:31:55 GMT 2005

I've just put my server on a new connection that requires DHCP, even
for a fixed IP.  Anyway, the DHCP server gives a fixed public internet
IP to my server, but it communicates on 192.168.1.254, which angers
FreeBSD (4.11).  I get a lot of the following:

arplookup 192.168.1.254 failed: host is not on local network

Which makes sense, because as far as FreeBSD is concerned, interface
ep1 is on the internet not on a LAN.

Looking on the net, I found the following suggestion, which does cure
the errors:

/sbin/route add -net 192.168.1.254 -netmask 255.255.255.0 -interface 1

My question is, is that the proper way to deal with this?  I have to
issue this statement whenever the dhclient is restarted.  I've
currently placed it in my firewall script, but is there a proper or
more elegant way to achieve this?

Thanks!

--
Mark Edwards