Installation instructions for Firefox somewhere?

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Tue Mar 1 08:15:29 GMT 2005

owner-freebsd-questions at freebsd.org wrote:
> Ted Mittelstaedt writes:
>
>> But that was under NT I understand, using NT drivers, right?
>
> Yes.
>
>> I wouldn't put it past the NT driver author of your SCSI card, in an
>> effort to avoid problems, to have written the NT driver so that ALL
>> transactions on the SCSI bus are asynchronous.
>
> I don't know.
>
>> Anyway, if this is it, you will not have been the first person with
>> iffy hardware that worked fine under Windows to have it break under
>> FreeBSD.
>
> I didn't know that Adaptec, Quantum, and Seagate were building such
> "iffy" hardware.

I have an Adaptec AAA-131 Ultra 2 card here that is just jumping up and
down to prove you wrong.

Adaptec has some great product.  Unfortunately they came out with
the great product early on, then decided once they got their reputation
that they could make a lot of money by hiding obscenities like the
AAA-131 card in amongst the decent hardware.

Adaptec was also total assholes about giving up the specs for the 2740
so that we could write a device driver for it.  The Linux people also
were affected as well.  This might have been a long time ago but Adaptec
still to this day rather ignores FreeBSD.

> This machine originally cost $9000.  HP did not skimp on the hardware.
>
>>  I just had a machine do this to me Friday - a Pentium Pro 150
>> - but I managed to guess at a change to a BIOS setting that fixed the
>> problem.
>
> Fine.  What do I change on my machine to fix the problem?

I can't tell you what to change.

However, I CAN tell you how to go about finding out what you need to
change.  Do you want to do this?  It might mean some effort on your part.

Ted