Aspire 1300 [slim-line cd-rom issue?]

JM jmartin37 at speakeasy.net
Thu Jun 30 12:58:56 GMT 2005

Ola Ericsson wrote:

> Hi
> I've been trying to install the latest version (5.4) of FreeBsd on my
> laptop an Acer Aspire 1300.
> It seams impossible, it hangs during istallation.  I've tried to get
> some info on the Web but there is no help. So please can you help me.
> I'm realy feed up with microsoft Xp and looking for a new OS.
> I tried the livecd from Freesbie and liked it thats why I'm trying to
> install FreeBsd.
>
> Ola

ok... i had a problem similar to this.  the problem wasn't actually with
a laptop but it was a piece of hardware very similar to one.  when i
installed freebsd on my EPIA system FreeBSD hated it.  the system was
basically built like a laptop with a slimline cd-rom and a 2.5" hard
drive.  FreeBSD would not recognize UDMA on the cd-rom and would
constantly timeout (or hang) the installation when installing from cd.
i basically had to boot from the cd and get to the installation and then
install from FTP.  i highly recommend installing a minimal installation
from FTP to get you started and then get the ports collection from CVS
at a convenient time.  try it and see if this works for you.

by the way... i haven't fixed this issue with my cd-rom yet...  if
anyone would like to help that would be great.  here's a cut from dmesg:

atapci0: <VIA 8231 UDMA100 controller> port
0xd000-0xd00f,0x376,0x170-0x177,0x3f6,0x1f0-0x1f7 at device 17.1 on pci0
ata0: channel #0 on atapci0
ata1: channel #1 on atapci0
ata0-master: DMA limited to UDMA33, non-ATA66 cable or device
ad0: 19077MB <ST92011A/3.04> [38760/16/63] at ata0-master UDMA33
acd0: CDROM <CD-224E/1.7A> at ata0-slave UDMA33
Mounting root from ufs:/dev/ad0s1a

and here's atacontrol info:
atacontrol info ata0
Master:  ad0 <ST92011A/3.04> ATA/ATAPI revision 6
Slave:  acd0 <CD-224E/1.7A> ATA/ATAPI revision 0

not sure about the make of the cdrom... can't recall.  if it's important
i can look it up later.