Vinum subdisk crash

Gareth Bailey gjbailey at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 09:50:13 GMT 2005

Hello,

It appears that one of the vinum subdisks on my server has crashed. On
rebooting I get the following message:

<-- start message -->

Warning: defective objects

V usr State:down Plexes:2 Size:37GB
P usr.p0 C State:faulty Subdisks:1 Size:37GB
P usr.p1 C State:faulty Subdisks:1 Size:37GB
S usr.p0.s0 State:crashed P0:0 B Size:37GB
S usr.p1.s0 State:stale P0:0 B Size:37GB

[some fsck messages]
Can't open /dev/vinum/usr: Input/output error
[some more fsck messages]
THE FOLLOWING FILE SYSTEM HAD AN UNEXPEXTED INCONSISTENCY:
/dev/vinum/usr (/usr)
Automatic file system checj failed . . . help!
Enter full pathname of shell....

<-- end message -->

I have a straight forward configuration based on the "Bootstrapping Vinum: A
Foundation for Reliable Servers" article by Robert Van Valzah.
What could have caused this? The disks are pretty new. Please advise on the
quickest route to getting our server back online.

Much appreciated,

Gareth Bailey