Softupdates Question

Scott Sipe cscotts at mindspring.com
Tue Jun 28 19:40:45 GMT 2005

Hi,

At work we're running some rather old accounting software that tells
us to disable oplocks and all caheing on our file server (and our
clients)--Samba/FreeBSD isn't officially supported (the only
platforms that are are Windows Server and Novell--yes, it's old) but
we've been running fine on this configuration.

The software is sensitive to data caching issues etc, and corruption
is occasionally an issue.

I have all oplocks disabled for the share in samba, and at the moment
I have softupdates disabled on the accounting software mount.

My question is, does activating softupdates add any risk of data
loss? My guess is no, but I've wanted to play it safe. Our other
samba shares all have softupdates enabled and do fine, and speed is
becoming somewhat of an issue.

thanks,
Scott