Small HTTPD + PHP4

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Tue Jun 28 18:11:52 GMT 2005

Grant wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 12:58:33 -0400
> Chuck Swiger <cswiger at mac.com> wrote:
[ ... ]
> Or do you know of a non php based forum that is quite fast and has the
> same type of things on a php based one. the way the forum is stored isnt
> a worry, be it a simple text file or some fancy database run one.

I would set up a moderated mailing list (or several lists) using Mailman, and
make the list archives available via the web.  It doesn't have all of the fancy
graphics of a PHP-based webforum, but it will require much less resources.
Although, if you really want to, you can permit the list to pass HTML mail and
attachments, so people can create animated .sigs, use pictures instead of text
smileys, and who knows what else.

Another alternative might be to use Usenet, as some newsreaders have better
threading and search capabilities than MUAs.

--
-Chuck