web mail interface program.

Sean Murphy smurphy at calarts.edu
Tue Jun 28 16:28:21 GMT 2005

scuba at centroin.com.br wrote:
> Hi Gary,
>
> 	I´m using Openwebmail (www.openwebmail.org or
> ports/mail/openwebmail) for more then 2 years to serve +5000 users with no
> worry.
> 	It runs in perl, suport POP3 (local/remote), includes calendar,
> webdisk, ssh term, etc. everything configured at user basis.
>
> - Marcelo Souza
>
> On Mon, 27 Jun 2005, Gary Kline wrote:
>

> |	People,
> |
> |	As an experiment I build squirrelmail on my laptop which is
> |	on my internal net.  I chose sendmail; but the ./configure
> |	section also required that I use IMAP.  Everything went well
> |	until I tried to login.  No joy.  I admit that I'm pretty
> |	clueless re POP3 or IMAP.  Can anybody help me?
> |
> |	If I install  squirrelmail on my primary server would I be
> |	rid of IMAP? Or is there a better mail program with a web
> |	interface.
> |
> |	thanks for a flashlight:-)
> |
> |	gary
> |
> |	PS:  I have evolution working on another internal server;
> |	     if only it had vi for replies, Life would be perfect....
> |

> |--
> |   Gary Kline     kline at thought.org   www.thought.org     Public service Unix

> - Marcelo

The way the that Squirrelmail works is that it does not read directly
the user mail.  Instead it uses IMAP to do that. This is the case no
matter if the mail server is local or remote.  We use it here supporting
1300 users no problem.  The benefits of this is you may install
Squirrelmail on another server to keep the load down.  Although we have
had no problem with our load.