upgrading all ports

Denny White dennyboy at cableone.net
Mon Jun 27 19:54:27 GMT 2005

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005, Nikolas Britton wrote:

>>> You shouldn't have any problems if you do that but kill it at the
>>> beginning of the next build, not when it's cleaning.
>>>

>> Thanks so much for the personal speedy reply. I've worked
>> for a month getting this system to about where I want it,
>> & I hate to see it all go down the tubes. Sure glad you
>> straightened me out on when to break out, too. I see you
>> didn't put in a cc to freebsd-questions, so I guess I
>> won't either. After breaking out of the loop, what's the
>> best thing to do at that point? The only way I could come
>> up with to try to start is:
>> cvsup ports-supfile
>> portsdb -Uu
>> portversion -l "<"
>> portupgrade -arR (no F this time)
>
> Just restart portupgrade without the F flag, it will pick-up where it left off.
>
>> If I can get things back right, I'll just learn to live
>> with the "held" ports. I never remember telling it to
>> hold anything, & it's probably pretty apparent I don't
>> understand as much as I should about portupgrade. I
>> learned what I know from Dru Lavigne's blogs at Oreilly,
>> & until I fat-fingered the F without thinking, it was
>> working okay, except for the held ports. Thanks again
>> for your help.
>> Denny White
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by held ports?

Held ports are listed in an array in /usr/local/etc/pkgtools.conf.
Why I have any there beats me. I don't know enough about it yet to
be able to give an answer. There are times when portupgrade will
ask me questions about extra features in some port, but that's the
only interaction I remember having with the program while it was
running, as far as supplying answers to it. I never remember telling
it to "hold" anything. Wish someone could help me get this through
my thick noggin. :) I've been doing a lot of reading on it, & I see
where a lot of folks think you're better off deinstalling ports &
starting from scratch. Others prefer portsmanager, I think it's called.
The reason I started using ports in the 1st place was to learn how to
add extra features to progs that aren't installed by default, as in
packages. Since I definitely ain't that sharp, I may start using pkgs
more & ports less. I'd rather have a smooth working install than the
power to wipe out my system & have to reinstall, at least until I
ever get up to speed on things. Thank you very much for the help.
Denny White