Linux emulation on amd64, possible yet? ... plausible?

Nathan Vidican nvidican at wmptl.com
Mon Jun 27 17:32:16 GMT 2005

MSG In-short: what is, or where do I find info on, the current status of
linux binary compatability on FreeBSD/amd64 platform

MSG In-Long(er) Detailed format: ...

Hey all - been searching the FAQ, and the release notes trying to find some
diffinitive answer as to where linux binary compatability stands at in
regards to the FreeBSD/amd64 platform... can't seem to find one, the only
thing the release notes state (and 5.3R we're talking here), is that there
is limited linux_32 compatability available.

I'm (still) running FreeBSD/amd64 5.3R on a couple of dual-opteron boxen.
What I'm eventually hoping to accomplish, is to get Sun JDK, Oracle Database
(preferably 10g... but who knows), and possibly Sun One Studio to work. I
can download all the above mentioned installs, and can even get partway
through running some of them... The binaries always seem to fail with error
'ELF binary type "0" not known.' - which is to be expected seeing as how
I've not enabled any sort of binary emulation. If going to 5.4R is the only
option - I'm open to trying it, but prefer to do so on my laptop - and last
known there were still issues with the keyboard probe/chipset of the Compaq
300-series amd64 platform, if anyone knows the status of that fix it'd be
great to know too (of course assuming I've got the option of better linux
emulation with 5.4R).

Ideally, I'd like to be able to run the linux/amd64 binaries... But I really
don't know where FreeBSD stands at current for doing this, or if it will
even be possible, or if linux/32 is still in development stages... Can
anyone provide me with a more authoratative response, either in form of
status or in form of url/mailing list towards who is working on this stuff?
Much appreciated all, and sorry if posting this to the general list was not
the proper place - was unsure of where to ask.

Thanks to all who reply.

--
Nathan Vidican
nvidican at wmptl.com