gzip from ports vs gzip from system

Dan Nelson dnelson at allantgroup.com
Sun Jun 26 07:02:22 GMT 2005

In the last episode (Jun 26), Norberto Meijome said:
> Norberto Meijome wrote:
> >Dan Nelson wrote:
> >>
> >>I have never had any problems with gzip and files over 2gb.  Do you
> >>have an example?
> >
> >and yes, the error msg from the process was gzip's msg, cant handle
> >filesize > 2 GB. sorry, dont have the original msg at hand anymore.
>
> ok, found a copy of the log - sorry, no direct reference to 2GB...
>
>   DUMP: 66.60% done, finished in 1:32
>
> gzip: stdout: File too large
>   DUMP: Broken pipe
>   DUMP: The ENTIRE dump is aborted.

That looks like whatever filesystem gzip was writing to couldn't handle
files over 2gb.  You mentioned writing to a remote filesystem using
amd, but it defaults to NFSv3.  Were you maybe writing to a FAT fs on
the remote end?  You can also see whether amd actually mounted the
remote fs with NFSv2 by uncommenting the "/var/log/all.log" line in
/etc/syslog.con, touching /var/log/all.log, and restarting syslog.
Then have amd remount the remote system and check the log.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson at allantgroup.com