firewall on FreeBSD

Alex Zbyslaw xfb52 at dial.pipex.com
Sat Jun 25 23:40:17 GMT 2005

Paul Schmehl wrote:

> --On June 25, 2005 8:42:24 AM +0200 mess-mate <messmate at free.fr> wrote:
>

>> I've a firewall/router/proxy with openbsd and think to replace it
>> with freebsd 5.4
>> Do you mean freebsd's PF don't support the 'quick' keyword ??
>> Thought PF on freebsd and openbsd was identical, isn't ?
>>
> pf on freebsd does support the "quick" keyword.  The "default"
> firewall, ipfw, does not.

This makes no sense to me.  The two firewalls work very differently.

In pf, each rule is always processed on every packet and the last rule
matching determines the action.  "quick" terminates the rule matching
and forces the "quick" rule to be, in effect, the final rule (assuming
the packet matched it).

ipfw does not match every rule for every packet, rather is processes
down the rules until the packet matches one with a terminating action
such as "accept" or "deny".  No "quick" keyword is needed.

--Alex