firewall on freebsd

Michael H. Semcheski lists at immuneit.com
Fri Jun 24 15:20:23 GMT 2005

On Friday 24 June 2005 10:59 am, Ean Kingston wrote:
> IPF was written for OpenBSD and later ported to FreeBSD. IPF came into
> existence because of disagreements between certain members of the OpenBSD
> team and the author of IPFilter. Filtering is done in the kernel and I
> believe NAT is also in-kernel.

The OpenBSD packet filter is known as pf, not ipf.  It exists in FreeBSD as
pf.

I have to say that I find it has some very useful features, though they are
outside the mainstream firewall feature set.  For instance, authpf.  When you
log into the firewall (usually via ssh), if the account's login type shell is
authpf, a special set of firewall rules get loaded for the IP address the
client is connecting from.

I have used pf and ipfw, and they're both fine.  If I had to pick, I'd choose
pf because I like that it uses a seperate configuration file, rather than a
shell script to load its rules.

I'm not an expert on either.

Mike