Explaining FreeBSD features

Erich Dollansky oceanare at pacific.net.sg
Thu Jun 23 06:05:20 GMT 2005

Hi,

Andrew L. Gould wrote:
> On Wednesday 22 June 2005 10:35 pm, Erich Dollansky wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>
> /--big snip--/

That was a good idea.

> That's a great analogy; but I disagree with the way you've applied it.
>
> Yes, the hunters and farmers shared the food.  That's not to say that
> the farmers wanted to use the bows and arrows, or that the hunters
> wanted to use a harvesting tool.  If a farmer chose to use a bow and
> arrow, he/she would be irresponsible not to take a safety lesson
> (RTFM).

Will ever any farmer have taken a bow if there was no other way than RTFM?

Just give them the bow, make sure nothing happens to yourself and otehr
and let them have a try.

> That's okay.  FreeBSD users are currently "specialized" in their

This is one of the reasons of low 'market' share.

> interest in computer technology when compared to the average Windows
> user.  That's okay too.   Specialized tools serve are used by
> specialized individuals; although all may benefit indirectly.
>
> I support better documentation.  I don't think there's any argument

I would not say there is a need for a better documentation as people who
are IT professionals are fine with it. There is the need for a second
set of documentation the avarage person on the road will understand.

> there.  The idea that FreeBSD should be usable for all levels of
> computer users, however, is like putting training wheels on a racing
> bicycle.  Any time you modify a professional tool to make it accessible

If Porsche would stop selling cars to people not pushing the cars to the
limit, they would sell a few hundreds a year instead of many tenthousands.

> to all, the tool loses some level of efficiency or power.  In the case
> of FreeBSD, it would also absorb valuable development resources.

This is what it should not. I think that there are enough people here
who like to help out with their limited knowledge if there would not be
this certain tone here if people do not use a very serious tone and
lingo in their answers.

> All of this reminds me of a book I saw at Barnes & Noble last year:
> "Bioinfomatics for Dummies".  Think about it:  does anyone on this list
> want a dummy messing with genetics?

We do not want them to run web server, just normal home PCs with FreeBSD
instead of Windows or Linux.

Erich