Goals for 6

Josh Ockert torstenvl at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 17:35:00 GMT 2005

Ja dumaju chto vy ni vizhili chto on govorit o FreeBSD 6.

I don't know that FreeBSD 6 design goals have been announced anywhere;
in fact, FreeBSD 6 isn't even listed on the front page, and hasn't
even had a New Technology release. At this point, I think FreeBSD 6
only exists because we basically need a Sith Apprentice (okay, maybe
I'm carrying this a bit far, but there are always two of them, -STABLE
and -CURRENT... and Ep.3 is still on my mind...) now that 5.x is
-STABLE.

It may be that 6.x will be more of an evolutionary series than
revolutionary, and that its purpose is mostly to let SMPng mature and
kill the Giant Lock, and hopefully let ACPI mature as well. You might
have more luck getting a straight answer from the -current mailing
list.