Possible Attack?

Troy G. troyg at digitek-solutions.com
Wed Jun 22 03:12:31 GMT 2005

Hi all,

I was going through a few servers tonight and came across this in
/var/log/messages.  This particular server functions mainly as our
primary webserver.  Its running  FreeBSD 4.8-RELEASE.  I decided to take
a closer look to see what was generating these entries by loading up
trafshow.  I noticed quite a bit of icmp requests coming in.  I created
an access-list on the cisco and filtered icmp to this host and the
messages kept logging.  It's obvious I didn't see any icmp anymore on
the server but is this system under a heavy load?  I dont see the load
being that high according to top.  Any suggestions?

Jun 21 21:50:55 mx1 /kernel: Limiting closed port RST response from 230
to 200 packets per second
Jun 21 21:51:23 mx1 /kernel: Limiting closed port RST response from 222
to 200 packets per second
Jun 21 21:53:02 mx1 /kernel: Limiting closed port RST response from 230
to 200 packets per second

TIA,

Troy