When does swap decreases

K. Greenwood k_greenwood1 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 20 19:49:55 GMT 2005

--- Dan Nelson <dnelson at allantgroup.com> wrote:
> In the last episode (Jun 20), Francisco Reyes said:
> > On Mon, 20 Jun 2005, Dan Nelson wrote:

<snipped swap space not decreasing, and revelation
that a process may still exist>

> > Makes sense.
> > Any way to find out which process is using the
> swap?
>
> None that I know of.  Another one of those "Junior
> Kernel Hacker"
> proejcts :)

<snipped>

Perhaps /sysutils/lsof?  Desc. as follows.

+++
Lsof (LiSt Open Files) lists information about files
that are open by the running processes.  An open file
may be a regular file, a directory, a block special
file, a character special file, an executing text
reference, a library, a stream or a network file
(Internet socket, NFS file or Unix domain socket).

See also fstat(1) in the base system.

WWW: http://people.freebsd.org/~abe/
+++

I have only recently installed it, not a clue as to
how to use it, however.

BTW, if Mr. Nelson is considered "Junior Kernel
Hacker", I qualify as "Senior Keyboard Drooler".

AKA, take my advice with a grain of salt.