4.x -> 5.x

Ken Ebling ken at idealinter.net
Mon Jun 20 18:13:32 GMT 2005

On Jun 20, 2005, at 11:28 AM, Kövesdán_Gábor wrote:

> Hello,
>
> it must be a well-discussed topic, but I don't know where to find a
> good description about upgrading from 4.x to 5.x. There is a
> production machine running 4.10 and the owner wants me to upgrade
> it to 5.4. Could somebody tell me the most important points to
> care? Or do You know a good howto?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Gábor Kövesdán
>
> !DSPAM:42b6e0cc524098808316405!

I've upgraded quite a few machines from 4.x to 5.x, all without any
problems.   The best 'how-to' I know of is in /usr/src/UPDATING

Update your sources via cvsup to RELENG_5_4 and search in /usr/src/
UPDATING for "To upgrade in-place from 4.x-stable to current".

On one of my 5.4-p1 systems, the relevant instructions start on line
1868.

Take care,

Ken Ebling