4.x -> 5.x

Ean Kingston ean at hedron.org
Mon Jun 20 16:05:21 GMT 2005

On June 20, 2005 11:28 am, Kövesdán Gábor wrote:
> Hello,
>
> it must be a well-discussed topic, but I don't know where to find a good
> description about upgrading from 4.x to 5.x. There is a production
> machine running 4.10 and the owner wants me to upgrade it to 5.4. Could
> somebody tell me the most important points to care? Or do You know a
> good howto?

I don't know a good howto but I did a source upgrade from 4.11 to 5.3 a while
back. I ran into a few issues (due to laziness on my part):

Some changes in kernel config files for building custom kernel.

Some changes in /etc (especially rc.conf). I wound up installing a fresh /etc
and then manually adding my changes.

Significant changes  to the disk sub-system. I'm using vinum for disk
mirroring. If you are using vinum, read up on gvinum carefully.

I migrated too soon. Should have waited for 5.4. 5.4 is much better than 5.3.

--
Ean Kingston

E-Mail: ean AT hedron DOT org
I am currently looking for work. If you need competent system/network
administration please feel free to contact me directly.