Detailed logging of ssh sessions

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Sun Jun 19 15:38:51 GMT 2005

I've been researching this, and so far haven't found a way to do what I
want to do.

I have servers here and there, that should only be accessible by a limited
number of administrators via ssh (i.e. mail and web servers, firewalls).

As an added security measure, I'd like to start logging everything that
happens during any ssh login (since all our work on these machines is
via ssh).  I understand, and frequently use script(1), but I want this
to be required.  I have two goals:
1) If someone manages to guess a password and break in, I want a log
   of what they're doing.
2) I want 100% guarantee that everything we do is recorded, to make
   future debugging of configuration mistakes easier.

I've been researching sshd, and it doesn't seem as if it has this
capability.  Web searches have not yet turned up anything ... I'm guessing
I'm not searching for the right phrases, since I can't believe I'm the
only one doing this.

Any advice or pointers are welcome.

--
Bill Moran