Can't mount partitions with soft-updates enabled with async option

Lefteris Tsintjelis lefty at ene.asda.gr
Sun Jun 19 04:42:33 GMT 2005

Giorgos Keramidas wrote:

> Why would you want to do that?
>
> Soft-updates already provides most of the benefits of an async mount plus some
> extra goodies, like never leaving the filesystem in an inconsistent state.

Kalimera Giorgo,

For boosting io speed to the max it can get. The system is very stable (no
crashes whatsover) and UPS monitored and protected so chances of having an
inconsistent filesystem are very low or am I wrong? (I am refering to an
async mounted filesystem)

> The speed gain of mounting a squid cache as async shouldn't really be that
> big, but the guarantees of avoiding data loss when a filesystem is mounted
> with softupdates are too big to ignore :-)

Well, that would probably depend on the requests per second but for a pretty
busy squid box (disk cache is already split to a few disks) and to keep things
running even more smooth and optimal, this would probably boost the io
performance further more (if I understood everything right). The reason I am
thinking of switching to async mode is that I am getting some physical io page
faults (very small percentage compared to the requests per second but still)
and I am already using the noatime option with soft-updates of course.