Advice replacing Xorg with XFree86_4 - Nightmare on Elm Street Up_1

Nikolas Britton nikolas.britton at gmail.com
Sat Jun 18 19:13:20 GMT 2005

On 6/18/05, Mark Frank <mark at mark-and-erika.com> wrote:
> * On Sat, Jun 18, 2005 at 07:52:31AM -0700 Everett Batey wrote:
> >
> > Then after editing the /etc/make.conf file to point back to the
> > much more mature XFree86  ..  What EVER POSSESSED us
> > to make Xorg a default without warning, mentioning it DOES NOT
> > understand some MODERN, POPULAR, DRIVERS, eg Mine.
>
> [snip]
>
> > Is there a faster way other than throwing in the towel on FreeBSD and
> > reverting to
> > Fedora or Knoppix for my public servers?
>
> Too late - looks like fedora now uses xorg too.

The only one I can think of right now that uses XFree86 is debian,
knoppix is based on debian. Why on earth does debian 3.1 still use the
2.4 kernel? And here is something I'd never thought I'd say, I
installed SuSE Pro 9.3 on my notebook (Omnibook 6000). I was so
impressed with it that removed the FreeBSD slice, well that and the
fact that grub doesn't do ufs2 and BSD doesn't do Riser, one had to
go. FreeBSD is still number 1 in my book, just not on notebooks.
anyways....