Advice replacing Xorg with XFree86_4 - Nightmare on Elm Street Up_1

Everett Batey efbatey at gmail.com
Sat Jun 18 14:53:06 GMT 2005

Greg .. Right THEY (pkg_add, _delete, _info) are my friends..

Kent ..

Could NOT find how to get XFree86-4.5.0,1 .. so

Thought I was doing pretty good grepping out all the pkg_info
refering xorg, 6.8.2 also, and pkg_delete -d-r each_found

Then after editing the /etc/make.conf file to point back to the
much more mature XFree86  ..  What EVER POSSESSED us
to make Xorg a default without warning, mentioning it DOES NOT
understand some MODERN, POPULAR, DRIVERS, eg Mine.

Then Here Came Freddie on Elm Street ...  since ggv was hosed
I could NOT cd the /usr/ports/gnome2 and make install .. that
died an early death ..

Finally falling fast onto my sword I did the effort to pkg_add -f -r
for gnome2 .. Now on my fast Sempron 2400, best part of an hour
of ...

pkg_add: package 'xorg-fonts-encodings-6.8.2' conflicts with XFree86-fontEncodin
gs-4.4.0
pkg_add: please use pkg_delete first to remove conflicting package(s) or -f to f
orce installation
pkg_add: pkg_add of dependency 'xorg-fonts-encodings-6.8.2' failed (proceeding a
nyway)
Fetching ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-5.4-release/All/x
org-libraries-6.8.2.tbz... Done.
pkg_add: package 'xorg-libraries-6.8.2' conflicts with XFree86-libraries-4.4.0_3
pkg_add: please use pkg_delete first to remove conflicting package(s) or -f to f
orce installation
pkg_add: pkg_add of dependency 'xorg-libraries-6.8.2' failed (proceeding anyway)
Fetching ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-5.4-release/All/l
ibglut-6.0.1.tbz... Done.

AND of course looks like there are thousands of dependencies like this
to DELETE,? REINSTALL?  to get RID of Xorg ..

Is there a faster way other than throwing in the towel on FreeBSD and
reverting to
Fedora or Knoppix for my public servers?

/Everett/

Ev Batey -- WA6CRE -- efbatey at gmail.com
  805 340-6471  http://www.cotdazr.org