FreeBSD/UNIX backups to DVD+RW

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Thu Jun 16 19:49:36 GMT 2005

On Thu, Jun 16, 2005 at 01:14:50PM -0500, James Riendeau wrote:
> I'm trying to setup backups to the DVD-RW drive on our new server before it
> goes into production.  I've got the DVD-RW drive working, and I figured out
> how to dump to it:
>
> # dvd+rw-format /dev/cd0
> # dump -0 -uL -C16 -B4589840 -P 'growisofs -speed=4 -Z /dev/cd0=/dev/fd/0'
> /usr

Hmm, nice idea. Although I don't think it'll work on a partition >4GB.

> A test restore comes out clean:
>
> # restore -Nxvb /dev/cd0
>
> The problem is most of the partitions are tiny (< 1G) and I would like to
> fit more then one partition on each DVD.  I figured just passing -M (append
> data) instead of -Z (new session) would do it:
>
> # dump -0 -uL -C16 -a -P 'growisofs -speed=4 -M /dev/cd0=/dev/fd/0' /home
>
> But growisofs fails with :-( /dev/cd0 doesn't look like isofs..., and of
> course dump fails with "Broken pipe".

That's because it isn't an isofs, it's a raw dump. Growisofs doesn't
understand the dump format and doesn't have a clue where the end of the
previous session is.

> Any clues to how to get this to work?  (Webpage link is sufficient if there
> is something out there.  I couldn't find one.)

If you have sufficient disk space, dump to disk. Compress the dumps with
gzip or bzip2 if you want to fit more on a disk, and put the dumps in an
isofs with mkisofs(8). Burn that on a DVD.

Roland
--
R.F.Smith (http://www.xs4all.nl/~rsmith/) Please send e-mail as plain text.
public key: http://www.xs4all.nl/~rsmith/pubkey.txt