getting DNS from DHCP IP address

David Banning david+dated+1119379853.e952b5 at skytracker.ca
Thu Jun 16 18:50:58 GMT 2005

My problem is that the server I use for DNS keeps going dead.

My ISP is most familiar with windows users who get their DNS
automatically from their connection.  When my ISP gives me a good
DNS server number, it seems to go dead six months later, and I have to
call them again.

Is there a way to get DNS automatically, say from the DHCP connection IP
address given to me? or, is there some great free DNS server that will
stay in business for some time that I can plug into my resolv.conf?
I am in Toronto, Canada so I guess a DNS should be in reasonable proximity.