Headless upgrade from Linux to FreeBSD

Tony Shadwick tshadwick at goinet.com
Thu Jun 16 16:10:11 GMT 2005

There are "ways" to do this, but none of them are really good ideas.  If
this machine has any uptime requirements at all, I wouldn't do it.

If you *must*, and you have a decent bootloader on the disk you're booting
from now (grub?), and you have a second available disk, then you could
create a bootable system on another box that is not headless and is local
to you, install all of the software that you want, then dd that system to
a single file, gzip it to make it as small as possible, transfer it to
your redhat system, unzip the file, dd the image file back to the second
drive, add the new system drive to grub's config file, reboot and pray.

I really don't think it's a good idea though....bad bad bad bad bad.

If you're going to do it, might I suggest that ahead of time you recompile
your fedora kernel to support at least UFS2 read, if there isn't safe UFS2
write available now?  That way after you finish dd'ing the image to the
second drive, you can view the filesystem and check for any mistakes you
might have made, or make any adjustments that you think of at the last
moment before you do that last reboot?

Tony