The perennial vfs.usermount query

Joe Altman fj at panix.com
Thu Jun 16 02:18:09 GMT 2005

1)	  If this:

$: more /etc/sysctl.conf

# $FreeBSD: src/etc/sysctl.conf,v 1.8 2003/03/13 18:43:50 mux Exp $
#
#  This file is read when going to multi-user and its contents piped
# thru ``sysctl'' to adjust kernel values.  ``man 5 sysctl.conf'' for
# details.
#
# Uncomment this to prevent users from seeing information about
#processes that are being run under another UID.
#security.bsd.see_other_uids=0

vfs.usermount=1

2)	And, --> after a reboot <--, this:

$: sysctl -a | grep vfs.usermount
vfs.usermount: 0

Ergo, I get this:

cd9660: /dev/acd0: Operation not permitted

When trying this:

mount -t cd9660 /dev/acd0 /usr/home/joe/mountpoint/

Then my question is: wtfoobar am I doing wrong?

Additional info:

$: more /etc/devfs.conf
<snip>
perm    acd0    0660
link    acd0    cdrom

Speculating, I assume that the BUGS section of sysctl.conf(5) applies,
somehow.

NB: the page covering this in the FAQ at freebsd.org says run this:

sysctl -w vfs.usermount=1

The man page for sysctl on 5.4 says this:

COMPATIBILITY
     The -w option has been deprecated and is silently ignored.

Is the -w flag only for 4.x installations?

I'm pretty sure I'm going to see the answer to this as soon as I hit
send.

--
I don't care what you think. This is not a stylishly insouciant stroll
out of the jungle, here. It's more like we've fallen out of our trees