procmail keeps dieing on freebsd 5.4 with postfix

Matt Juszczak matt at atopia.net
Wed Jun 15 16:08:46 GMT 2005

Hi all,

We had a mail server running with FreeBSD 5.4, about 3,000 accounts, and
postfix.  Recently, I turned procmail on in postfix
(mailbox_command=/usr/....procmail) and the machine has been locking up
weekly ever since.  And when this machines crashes, it crashes hard ...
and "procmail" is always on the screen as the error causer when it
happens.

I know you all want messages, but I never seem to be here and my co
workers reboot the box on me to fix it.  Both times; however, we've had to
run fsck from single user mode and also refresh the postfix queue.

Does anyone have any ideas why procmail could be causing my system to
completely hard lock every other couple of days?  I disabled procmail for
now and I know (knock on wood) the machine should be fine like it used to
be ... but all these hard locks could eventually drive the freebsd box
mad, and I wouldn't want to do a reinstall.

Thanks!

-Matt