rcNG script problems

Alex Zbyslaw xfb52 at dial.pipex.com
Wed Jun 15 14:29:45 GMT 2005

Jarrod Martin wrote:

> yea i've figured it out.  this really should be better documented
> though... i'll be sending all the info to the documentation mailing
> list.  here's the proper way to do it.  the filename is
> 'httpd_start.sh' with 555 mode.  rc scripts, both rcNG and the old
> *.sh styles must have the .sh extension to be recognized (source:
> bsdforums.org).  the script was placed in '/usr/local/etc/rc.d'.

Just to say that man rc does cover this, but it takes a bit of reading
-- certainly no harm in a handbook entry for it.  The easiest way to
figure out patterns for what you can do is (as ever) to read the
source;  in this case all the myriad scripts in /etc/rc.d (and /etc/rc
itself), bearing in mind that the ordering stuff at the top won't work.
However, I would future-proof my scripts and put it all in -- it's easy
enough.  The apache2.sh script was also quite informative though given
that your example is an http startup script I guess you didn't install
apache2 from ports.

--Alex