SMP and networking under FreeBSD 5.3

Joe josepha48 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 15 05:14:35 GMT 2005

Hey thanks,

   it seems that ipfw complains during boot with a message:

hostname ``or'' unknown

   which I have no idea where that is coming from yet, but will
look.

   Then natd doesn't get started.

   If I run /etc/rc.d/ipfw start then the router is up and natd
gets started.

   For now, I'll probably just add it to rc at the end.  I think
it has something to do with the order things get run.

   My firewall script is for a dhcp interface.  Since I don't
know the IP, I use ifconfig dc0 | grep -v inet6 | grep inet |
awk ... to get the IP address for some of the rules.  I'm
wondering if this is failing and causing the message above.

   Is there a 'recommended' way to create a rule for ipfw on a
dhcp interface  using its IP address?

Joe