PostgreSQL 8.0.3 + FreeBSD + TCP/IP

Joseph Koenig (jWeb) joe at jwebmedia.com
Tue Jun 14 20:14:32 GMT 2005

> On Tue, Jun 14, 2005 at 10:05:05AM -0500, Joseph Koenig (jWeb) wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm having a difficulty getting PostgreSQL to accept TCP/IP connections on
>> FreeBSD 5.3. I have edited 'postgresql.conf' in my postgres data directory
>> to set the listen_address (and uncommented it) and have the port line
>> uncommented and set to the default 5432. I then restarted the postmaster and
>> tried to connect. I get:
>>
>> could not connect to server: Connection refused
>>         Is the server running on host "xx.xxx.xx.xxx" and accepting
>>         TCP/IP connections on port 5432?
>>
>> I can connect from localhost just fine.
>
> You need to set listen_addresses, like it says in the comments:
>
> listen_addresses = '*'
>
> This will allow Postgresql connections from all interfaces.

I have already tried setting the listen_addresses to * and the actual IP.
Neither of which has worked. I restarted the postmaster both times using the
script in /usr/local/etc/rc.d/, and by using pg_ctl. Even tried starting
postmaster with pg_ctl -i. Nothing seems to be working. I have
double-checked all of my pg_hba.conf settings, even though the error doesn't
indicate that is the problem at all.

Anyone else have any ideas at all? Thanks,

Joe Koenig
Production Manager
jWeb New Media Design
joe at jWebmedia.com