rcNG script problems

JM jmartin37 at speakeasy.net
Tue Jun 14 19:40:01 GMT 2005

Kirk Strauser wrote:

>On Tuesday 14 June 2005 12:07, JM wrote:
>

>>i've written an rcNG script but i'm having some issues.
>>

>Step one: set rc_debug="YES" in /etc/rc.conf to see what's actually
>happening when you attempt to run your script.  That seems to uncover about
>95% of the problems I've had.

turned on the option rc_debug="YES" and ran 'dmesg -a'... the script
doesn't even show up in the list anywhere.  are we not supposed to be
able to write custom rcNG scripts?  is there something i'm overlooking
where i need to register httpd_start in the rc stuff?  here's my newbie
impression of how rc works:
- rc i run by init
- rc runs rcorder on all script directories.
- rc reads rc.conf and runs all scripts found by rcorder
rcorder recognizes the script i wrote without any errors... yet when i
boot the system, there is no "checkyesno" for httpd_start.  there's
nothing that references the script at all... WHY? >.<

why did FreeBSD have to adopt this standard anyhow?  it seems
unnecessarily complicated to write custom scripts now.