Shrinking slices to make room for linux

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu
Tue Jun 14 16:46:14 GMT 2005

> Hello,
>
> I have just installed FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE (my first use of FreeBSD)
> onto a Dell Inspiron 5000e laptop, dual booting with Windows. However,
> now I would like to install a Linux distro to see if the ACPI support
> is any different and so on. I have plenty of space on the FreeBSD
> slice, so is there anyway of shrinking the slice without loosing the
> data on it (maybe something like GNU parted)? The only references I
> have found to this sort of thing are to do with  making FreeBSD slices
> bigger...

Your best bet is to back up everything in the FreeBSD slice - each partition.
Then rebuild the disk slices and repartition and newfs, leaving room for
your LNX slice.   Then restore the dumps in to the new FreeBSD partitions.
Growing FreeBSD partitions works ok under ideal circumstances, but
shrinking is not going to work.

Good luck,

////jerry