gmirror trouble with bsdlabel

dave dmehler26 at woh.rr.com
Tue Jun 14 15:37:20 GMT 2005

Hello,
    I'm running a 5.4 box and trying to get gmirror going. I'm following the
howto at:

http://people.freebsd.org/~rse/mirror/

I'm following procedure1 as i want to mirror the entire
drive.
My situation, i have two identical 80 gb IDE drives, ad0 and ad1, when i try
to edit the disk label, i took it from ad0 and change partition a's offset
to 16 and try to save bsdlabel informs me that partitions a and b overlap
and it won't commit changes. My commands are as follows:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/ad1 bs=512 count=79
gmirror label -v -n -b round-robin gm0 /dev/ad1
gmirror load
fdisk -v -B -I /dev/mirror/gm0
bsdlabel -w -B /dev/mirror/gm0s1
bsdlabel ad0s1 > label1
bsdlabel -R /dev/mirror/gm0s1 label1
bsdlabel -e /dev/mirror/gm0s1
change offset of partition a to 16 and save. This is where i get the error.
Thanks.
Dave.