PostgreSQL 8.0.3 + FreeBSD + TCP/IP

Joseph Koenig (jWeb) joe at jwebmedia.com
Tue Jun 14 15:22:48 GMT 2005

>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm having a difficulty getting PostgreSQL to accept TCP/IP connections on
>> FreeBSD 5.3. I have edited 'postgresql.conf' in my postgres data directory
>> to set the listen_address (and uncommented it) and have the port line
>> uncommented and set to the default 5432. I then restarted the postmaster and
>> tried to connect. I get:
>>
>> could not connect to server: Connection refused
>>         Is the server running on host "xx.xxx.xx.xxx" and accepting
>>         TCP/IP connections on port 5432?
>>
>> I can connect from localhost just fine. Is there anything that needs to be
>> set in /etc/inetd.conf or /etc/hosts.allow? I have postgresql_enable="YES"
>> in my /etc/rc.conf file, but have not rebooted since I added that. If that's
>> the problem, is there a good way to load that value without rebooting? Is it
>> just an environmental variable? Thanks,
>>
>> Joe Koenig
>> Production Manager
>> jWeb New Media Design
>> joe at jWebmedia.com
>> http://www.jwebmedia.com/
>> 636.928.3162

> -- see pg_hba.conf in $PGDATA directory. :)

I guess I should have specified that I have already added the appropriate
entries into pg_hba.conf. I thought that the error message would be enough
to indicate it was not an authentication problem, as that generates an error
stating there is not an entry in pg_hba for that host.

Thanks,

Joe Koenig
Production Manager
jWeb New Media Design