Celeron

Bart Silverstrim bsilver at chrononomicon.com
Mon Jun 13 17:34:10 GMT 2005

On Jun 13, 2005, at 1:12 PM, Nikolas Britton wrote:

> On 6/13/05, Andreas Davour <ante at update.uu.se> wrote:

>>> FreeBSD is an operating system, Linux is a distribution.
>>
>> Nope. Linux is an operating system kernel, as is FreeBSD. The latter
>> also happens to be the name of the operating environment.
>>
>> SuSE Linux, RedHat Linux or Debian GNU/Linux is distributions.
>
> When I say "operating system" I mean a "complete system". What good is
> a kernel if you have no way to make it do something?

Well, technically speaking, it doesn't matter what *you* mean.  By the
definition, the statement made was true...Linux is the kernel, and Red
Hat, SuSE, Debian, etc. are distributions.  We have to have standard
definitions for specifying what we are talking about or it takes three
times longer to communicate what we intend because we're trying to find
the common understanding among Larry, Moe, and Curly as to what in h*ll
they're talking about.  Working in a tech field there's plenty of times
where this gets put to the test...hard copy is NOT a floppy disk, a CD
disc, or tape, despite the fact that it is a tangible physical object.

> You could call GNU/Linux an operating system but I wouldn't, not after
> being introduced to an engineered system like FreeBSD. FreeBSD is to
> Linux as Gold is to Lead, there very similar but one is worthless.

I think the GNU/Linux term is actually supposed to be applied to the
Linux kernel with the GNU tools, although it may be applied to just the
kernel.  Would have to ask Stallman about that.  As for the comment
about being worthless, to each their own.  I'm sure there are a lot of
companies and Linux users who would disagree, and I'd be so inclined to
disagree as well seeing that I've managed to get plenty of useful tasks
done using various flavors of Linux.