Celeron

Nikolas Britton nikolas.britton at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 06:28:26 GMT 2005

On 6/7/05, Nosehouse <nosehouse at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello FreeBSD :D
> A question and I'm out: I have an old pc, running on a 300 MHz Intel Celeron CPU, on an Intel MOBO. Now, what platform should I choose from your site: Alpha, i386? And also for and AMD Athlon XP 2600+ with an Asus A7V600-X, what distribution?
> Thanks!

FreeBSD is an operating system, Linux is a distribution.

The Alpha release is for the DEC I mean Compaq I mean HP Alpha CPU.
This CPU was, and still is, one of the best CPUs ever made.
Unfortunately Carly ("was" CEO of HP), the bitch, killed it off when
HP bought out Compaq. AMD bought some of the rights to the Alpha,
there current chips have some Alpha blood inside them. AMD, VIA C3,
and Intel Chips are all x86. The current x86 chips operate in 32-bit
protected mode, the first Intel CPU that had this feature was the
80386, hence the i386. "Because of the high degree of compatibility,
the range of processors compatible with the 80386 is often
collectively termed the i386 architecture; the instruction set for the
architecture is now known as IA-32 or, informally, i386." -Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/i386
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microprocessor
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cpu