With all we can do in Unix ...

Marc G. Fournier scrappy at hub.org
Mon Jun 13 06:25:13 GMT 2005

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005, Nikolas Britton wrote:

> On 6/11/05, Marc G. Fournier <scrappy at hub.org> wrote:
>>
>> ... why is it impossible to view/edit the BIOS while the server is live?
>>

> It's not impossible to view the BIOS settings in an OS but if you
> changed the BIOS settings you would still need to reboot before the
> changes take effect, so there isn't much point in editing the settings
> with a live OS running. Also you normaly take card of the BIOS
> settings "before" the server is in production use.

In my case, I had a habit of disabling the serial ports on servers, since
I never setup serial consoles ... my new servers, I do setup serial
consoles on, but I'd like to get my old servers put online too, so would
like to re-enable the serial ports on those :(

> Are you wanting to edit the setting on a headless or hard to get at
> system? if so then you want a motherboard that has console redirection.

Oh, I have those motherboards also ... but, again, its only the newer
servers that I've *had* something to plug them into, so I always disabled
(or left it disabled) on the older machines :(

Hindsight is 20-20 here ...

----